Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oscar nominated animated short: Adam and Dog

Adam and Dog

Short description (Official description from IMDB):
Adam, and a dog, in the Garden of Eden.


Information that came with the trailer on Vimeo, written by Minkyu Lee:
"This is a short film that me and a group of my close friends made. It was put together by artists who work at various studios, including Disney Feature, Dreamworks and Pixar; The animation is done by myself, Jennifer Hager, James Baxter, Mario Furmanczyk, Austin Madison, and Matt Williames. Glen Keane also helped by being a consultant on the film, and also doing some visual development. It is a completely independent film without any major studio involvement. We are really excited for people to see it, and wanted to share."


Credits:
Written and directed by Minkyu Lee

Animation by:
Minkyu Lee
Jennifer Hager
James Baxter
Mario Furmanczyk
Austin Madison
Matt Williames

Associate Producer: Heidi Jo Gilbert
Technical Direction: Ethan Metzger
Score: Joey

Newman Film consultants: Glen Keane
Thomas Ethan Harris


Sketch (from Tumblr) :















The official trailer:



My personal say on it:
Can't you just feel the love of animation bursting out at you in this clip? Man do I wish I could see the rest. If you're from America you could go to a free screening, do let me know how it was if you go!
This reminds me so much of the Disney animation roots, yet it's so much more. It reminds me of The Fox and the Hound in particular, because of the detailed environments and drawing style of the characters though not so much the character design. You do recognize the Disney roots in the design a little, but it's still very much it's own thing.
It also reminds me of The Fox and the Hound because the direct purpose of the visuals are to endear and amaze. It endears in that it's the start of something, everything is new to us and to the characters and they're playful about their exploration. It would be great to be taken on a journey by Adam and Dog, don't you think?
I said that it's also so much more than a tribute to the Disney roots, it also shows us how far we've come with animation quality (both realism and general pacing), it looks great in that respect too.
From seeing this short clip I really like it, it reminds me of older 2D animation and brings us something more too, but I guess that's as much as I can say about it, only having seen 58 seconds of it.
I can't really judge it's chances of winning the Oscars, as I've not covered the other contestants yet, but I'll be sure to get back to you on that!


I love writing these tidbits, it makes me feel like I accomplished something on a short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment