Sunday, February 22, 2015

Oscar nominated animated short: A Single Life

A Single Life

Synopsis (from A Single Life Oscar nomination page):
A mysterious vinyl single gives a young woman the power to move back and forth through the years of her life.


Credits:
Job Roggeveen
Joris Oprins
Marieke Blaauw

Trailer:



My personal opinion (no spoilers):
I watched this one with my family and all of us had a good long laugh about it afterwards. We watched it again soon after because it only lasts for 2 minutes and we wanted to see more! I would definitely recommend watching it, again and again.

Out of all the shorts this year, this is easily the most enjoyable and easy to watch. The animation is brilliantly done and super fun. The style of the character is something I've seen before in a Dutch music video, so it wasn't new to me, but I can imagine how it might seem a little strange to see for the first time. Still, I think the designs are very appealing too!

The music and the audio design fits short perfectly, the song fulfils its key part skillfully.

A Single Life is a short film made by Dutch people. Seeing as I'm Dutch as well, I'll be silently rooting for this one to win! Even though I don't think it's better than The Dam Keeper, which I personally think should win the Oscar this year. Even so, I'm very proud to say that our country managed to produce something like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment