Sunday, February 22, 2015

Oscar nominated animated short: Me and My Moulton

Me and My Moulton

Synopsis (from Me and My Moulton IMDb page and Me and My Moulton Vimeo Trailer Page):
A personal animated story about a girl which wishes for a bicycle from her parents, but gets something completely different, showing the different reality in which children and grown ups live in.

This short animation by Oscar®-winner Torill Kove (The Danish Poet) follows a seven-year-old girl and her sisters, who ask their parents to get them a bicycle. Our young protagonist struggles with her sense that her family is somehow unconventional, and her loving yet hopelessly out-of-touch parents prove to be a source of quiet embarrassment and anxiety. With a bright palette, this film views the creative attitudes of the parents through the eyes of their introspective daughter. Me and My Moulton tells the charming story of a young girl whose sensitive nature sometimes makes it difficult for her to be honest with the ones she loves most.



Credits:
Torill Kove
(A bunch more people helped produce it, but the above person is the one nominated for an oscar.)


Trailer:



Artwork (check out more (also other short tidbits with the same characters) on their website):






My personal opinion (no spoilers):
Usually I start out watching an oscar nominated animated shortfilm in "review mode", judging the art, the animation, the music. At some point during that, a really good short film would pull me out of that mode and sweep me along with the story. Me and My Moulton did not manage to get me out of review mode, it most definitely didn't. During every moment I was questioning the choices they had made making this film.

This short film is, well, a little unique, as in that it's a little strange. I guess the story about a quirky family must be a little quirky too. The story is a little girl slowly finding out that she doesn't have a run of the mill kind of family. The story is told by a girl of about 11 years old, but the narrator has a woman's voice, which made it a little hard to believe. Besides that it is told in a very dry manner, which didn't make it more interesting either.

"Is everything alright at school?
My daddy has a moustache."

It was funny at times, but I was trying to figure out the meaning of the weird bits, and the jokes didn't help.
At some point the music set in and that gave me even more question marks. The music didn't fit the feeling of the short film at all.

All in all, some parts of it were enjoyable, but to me there wasn't enough story to it, and a lot of it was a bit too 'random' for my taste.

I don't really understand why this was nominated. There were 2 other short films that I would sooner have nominated over this one. I'm quite sure this won't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment